Re: su in debian.rules

Mark W. Eichin writes ("Re: su in debian.rules"):
> The issue is that *I* consider, for *myself*, the need to become root
> to build a package to be a *serious* impediment.

Then Debian source packages are, unfortunately, unuseable for you.

>   In fact, it would be enough, for me, to change
> dpkg-deb to have an option to read a tar file directly, instead of
> getting the package out of a filesystem tree; then I could do my own
> processing on a tar file (consider, even, an "install" program that
> wrote directly to a tarfile!) and hand it off. (A simple change to
> build.c, it looks like, I'll try it this weekend.)

If you send me a good patch I'll incorporate it.  I trust you're happy
having the DEBIAN files still come out of the filesystem proper ?

NB though that I don't think that this solution should be used for
Debian packages on `general release'.

Raul's suggestion of a chmod-equivalent that did the right thing is an
interesting one, but could definitely not be guaranteed to work all
the time, even if you did supply chown, install, &c.  In any case, the
feature that makes dpkg-deb read a tarfile is a sufficient hook to
implement this :-).

Ian.