Re: su in debian.rules

Mark W. Eichin:
   > As I've commented before, there is no real excuse for needing
   > root to create packages.

Bruce Perens:
   What you are proposing is to have a program on the system that a
   non-privileged user runs to create an archive that contains files
   that appear to have been written by a privileged user, and will
   indeed become privileged when they are extracted. OK, I admit that
   any user can write a program like that, but that does not mean we
   have to deliver it into their hands.

Er.. the only privilege needed is the ownership of a '386 or better
computer with a bit of memory and disk.  Any net connected system is
exposed to far more "security loopholes" than this.

--
Raul