Re: Developer@debian.org

In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960131190905.526B-100000@tigre.local.net> you wrote:

Since many of the hardware and network resources used by Debian are donated
resources that are not single-purpose machines or connections, it is normal
and reasonable for the debian.org namespace to mostly be populated with alias
information.  It is also normal and reasonable for there to not be a real
machine named 'debian.org'... there are, however, MX records that cause mail
to <user>@debian.org to go to a small machine that I gather is at Ian
Murdock's house.  This is in the process of being changed.

: Yes, there are I guess. The name server for debian.org is at "Metropolitan
: Data Networks, Ltd."

This is in the process of being changed.  MDN may continue to provide secondary
name service.  I don't know if they're charging Ian Murdock for the things
they do for Debian, or not.  Many commercial ISP's do nice things for efforts
like ours.

: I don't know who maintains
: master.debian.org because I missed the discussion in debian-private about it.

Me.

: I really think someone with more knowledge should clarify all this. If
: the Debian project is having financial difficulties, I would like to know.

I can't speak for the Debian project overall, but I gather that the issue with
ftp.debian.org relates to a desire/need on the part of the folks hosting that
machine to redeploy the hardware that's being used for ftp.debian.org to some
other purpose.  Since this is a donated resource, what they want to do is
entirely up to them, and this is the sort of event that a project depending
on donated resources needs to be prepared to deal with from time to time.

The Debian project has many friends and supporters.  I wouldn't be too
concerned about the overall project folding any time soon.

Bdale