Re: patch and diffs

dwarf@polaris.net (Dale Scheetz)  wrote on 25.01.96 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.91.960125105844.5328A-100000@dwarf.polaris.net>:

> Up to this point, every package that I have picked up to maintain, has
> used diff -ruN (which makes sense) against directories packagexxx and

> 1.  The new package I just picked up (octave) uses diff -cNr.

Well, I like the -u output better than the -c output, but functionally
there's no difference - both contain the exact same info, and patch can
use both.

> I have tried all combinations of 'debian source tree' in packagexxx or in
> packagexxx.orig or in both, with patch <packagexxx.diff and the closest I
> got to what I wished for, produced a set of files in ./ that could be
> manually coppied into packagexxx.orig, at which point, deleting all files
> of 0 length produced the upstream source. (not at all what is expected)

A problem often discussed on the linux-kernel mailing list. You
*absolutely must* use the -p option to patch when subdirectories are
involved. See the manual page.

Also, don't forget that recreating the original package means you have to
reverse the diff. Again, see the manual page of patch.

MfG Kai