Re: netpbm vs. pbmplus

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Michael E. Deisher wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 1996 16:23:00 -0500 , "brian (b.c.) white" <bcwhite@bnr.ca> said:
>
> > I hate to repeat myself, but...  If you had a file like
> > /etc/path.default with a line like: /usr/bin:/bin: (etc., etc.)
>
> I considered this, but this only works if your users source
> /etc/path.default from their .profile/.cshrc/whatever.  Since
> /etc/path.default is non-standard, chances are that many will
> have set their path explicitly and will miss out when you change
> /etc/path.default.
>
> FWIW, I like the idea of /etc/path.default.

Initialising the default path belongs in /etc/profile and /etc/cshrc and
even /etc/myfavouriteshell.rc

Then it works without users having to do anything.  That's why it's
called the 'default path'.  Users still have the option to override the
default in whatever way they choose.

Craig

--
  cas@muffin.pronet.com                                cas@muffin.apana.org.au
   *       Unix Consulting:  Installation, Configuration, & Support.        *