Re: dpkg, ELF, upgrade order, broken systems

On Mon, 22 Jan 1996, Carl V Streeter wrote:

[...]

> be run.  I think that the assertion that all packages could be unpacked in any
> order is flawed.

I think it is a desirable goal.

[..]

> > I would prefer to have an "elf-update.deb" package whose content would be:
>
> That would probably be a pain to make, unless it only contains the .deb files.
> and in the postinst, it re-runs dpkg or something.

That's exactly what I am proposing. The file "elf-update.deb" would
contain only .deb files:
                  /tmp/libc5.deb
                  /tmp/ld.so.deb
                  /tmp/image.deb

Then a postinst script would in fact re-run dpkg. This might require some
change in dpkg to allow two instances to be running at the same time as
long as they are working on unrelated packages.
Another solution might be that "elf-update.deb" is empty, except for the
postinst script. If it has a

depends: libc5, image (>1.3.58), ld.so (>???) , etc...

Then it would just be necessary to modify dpkg so that it can be called
in a postinst script. I think this is much more customizable than adding
a field. It will deal with unforeseen problems much better. I don't think
is shortsighted at all. All the contrary, adding a field each time there
is a problem is much shortsighted. The number of fields should be kept to
a minimum. There is a better way to deal with this kind of problem:
installation scripts.

Regards,
	Fernando Alegre
	alegre@mars.superlink.net