Re: dpkg, ELF, upgrade order, broken systems

I think your proposal is rather kludgy. I don't think it is justified to
introduce a new field in the packaging database for using in a very
specific (although important) problem which will not repeat in the future.

I would prefer to have an "elf-update.deb" package whose content would be:

libc5 libraries (/tmp/libc5.deb)
new ld.so (/tmp/ldso.deb)
new dpkg (/tmp/dpkg.deb)
new kernel (/tmp/linux???.deb)
some other critical package? (/tmp/critical-package.deb)

This is a sketch, of course. I mean having a .deb whose content is the
critical .deb packages. It would place them in /tmp. Then a postinst
script would run dpkg -i /tmp/package in the _right_ order:

dpkg -i /tmp/first.one.deb
dpkg -i /tmp/second.one.deb
rm /tmp/first.one.deb /tmp/second.one.deb ...

Is that clear?

My solution is kludgy too. However, it does not need cooperation from
many developers, it does not include unnecessary fields in everyone's
packages database, it is much more customizable  and it is closer to
Debian's philosophy of doing the hard work through well designed
installation scripts.

We only need a volunteer to make the "upgrade-to-elf.deb" package.

Anyone?