Re: Do we really care how many floppies are in the base?

James A. Robinson writes:
> [Ian Jackson wrote:]
> > Think about it: admin mirrors ftp.debian.org on the site NFS server,
> > or mounts the CD-ROM on it.  Admin now wants to install Debian on a
> > dozen PC's, but has to carry 6 floppies around to all of them !
>
> Bruce wrote:
> > Mine has a pre-written boot floppy and requires an unformatted floppy that
> > you supply. This will appear in the Debian Catalog when I am ready to take
>
> Think about it yourself, Ian!  If Bruce supplies a single boot floppy
> with a network kernel and the needed network programs (which are what,
> ifconfig, route, and mount?) on it, we can do NFS without carrying
> around floppies.  Am I misinterpreting Bruce?

I don't know.  The impression I got was that there are no immediate
plans to make it possible to install the base disks other than via
actual floppies or CD-ROM.  Clearly the user can do it themselves,
using mount, gzip and cpio from the root disk shell option, but they
shouldn't have to (if nothing else this means they need to know
exactly how our base installation works).

> > Telling the admin to make sure that each of the dozen workstations has
> > a CD-ROM drive that probably won't be used for anything else is
> > ridiculous.
>
> Geez, you guys have got to relax a bit before you respond.  I was
> pointing out that Bruce's CDROM solution is going to be what lots of
> places choose.  We're only a 300 student college and _we_ have a NFS
> mountable CDROM.

If my impression of Bruce's plans is correct then one NFS-mountable
CD-ROM won't do you any good.  You'd need an actual CD-ROM drive in
each machine, or floppies.

I think it's fairly clear from my messages that that's what I've been
assuming.  I keep hoping that someone will contradict me.

Some time ago in this thread I wrote:
> When I told a local system administrator that you needed 5 disks + 1
> blank to install Debian the expression on his face was very
> convincing.
>
> I think that making both available is probably a good idea, but the
> best thing would be if we could make the base disks installable by
> some other means than floppy disks.  Hard disk partitions, CDROMs, NFS
> and FTP would probably be enough.  If we did that we could leave the
> 2-disk set for esoteric use.

I hope I have misunderstood Bruce's intentions.  If I haven't then my
point stands.

Please see below for a digest of the messages leading up to this one.

Ian.

------- start of digest (6 messages) (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------