Re: ncurses-1.9.8a ELF release

> > Now I'm confused.  That part of my message was in reference to your
> > comment on category 1 packages where you contradicted yourself.  Did
> > you mean category 2 instead?  Here is the relevant section from your
> > earlier message:
>
> Yes, I did mean categoory 2 instead.
>
> Is this getting any clearer ? :-/

Slowly.  I've been trying to better understand how dpkg works and find
a way to do what I want with the current behaviour.  The only way I've
come up with is rather ugly and probably error prone so I haven't even
bother to hash it all out.  If you'll answer me a couple of questions,
I'll try to come up with a cleaner way that would only require a
minimum of changes to dpkg.  Here they are:

Can, and if so how, dpkg/dselect remove one package and replace it
with another in one invocation?

Does dpkg/dselect allow a package to be upgraded or replced with
another and then left in an unconfigured state?

Basically, what I'm concerned with is the time between an old
package's postrm script being called and any new package's postinst
being called.

David