coming soon

I spent an evening looking at "linuxconf-1.0", and decided it's not for
us, at least just yet, though we should probably have something like it.
It seems to be quite slackware-dependent at this stage in its evolution.

I have Neil Turton's GPL-ed master boot record working to my satisfaction,
and will incorporate it into the LILO package. LILO will then put the
LILO boot block on the root partition, and install Turton's MBR to chain to
that unless you tell the postinst you already have a boot manager.
The MBR will boot the partition you mark active using FDISK, and if
interrupted will boot partition 1 through 4 or the floppy in response to
the user pressing "1", "2", "3", "4", or "F".

I am changing "init" in a few ways:

	1. The "initrunlevel" file is moving to /etc from /var/log.
	   Currently, init gets sick if /usr is unmounted. I may look
	   at an alternative to using this file, so that it can better
	   tolerate a read-only root.

	2. The "init" package will contain a "chkconfig" utility similar
	   to the one on system 5. This will be usable to edit on-off
	   flags which are usable by the init scripts. For example,
	   "chconfig verbose" will turn on verbose output from the scripts.

	3. /etc/rc[0-6].d will move to /etc/rc.d/rc[0-6].d to match the
	   practice on other Linux systems. Symbolic links will provide
	   compatibility with the old locations.

	4. The /etc/init.d/functions file will no longer be used.

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens <Bruce@Pixar.com> Pixar Animation Studios