Shared libraries mysteriously disappearing

I finally tracked down the problem I've occasionally had with shared
libraries mysteriously disappearing after upgrading packages.  As I
suspected, it was due to an undesired interaction between dpkg (which
was renaming files) and ldconfig (which was removing stale symlinks).

The easiest solution I came up with was to only run ldconfig from
postinst scripts and not from postrm scripts.  The only disadvantage I
can see from doing this is that a stale link and an outdated entry in
ld.so.cache may get left behind if the package is removed instead of
upgraded.  Both of these are harmless and will be automatically
cleaned up the next time ldconfig is run.

David