ncurses ELF status report

ncurses for ELF is still not quite ready for public consumption.  Anyone
who downloads it and installs it should be prepared for possible bumps in
the road.  I think they're all taken care of, but even so, be prepared.

In addition to the fact that it's still getting some of the kinks worked
out, there are at least two base packages that depend on the old
ncurses-runtime which you _must_ remove in order to install the latest
ncurses.

This probably won't break them --- I expect they were compiled to query
/etc/terminfo, and that contains the most common terminal definitions, so
they should be OK from a functional point of view.

The thing that bothers me is that I haven't been able to figure out an
upgrade path that won't require users to do some complicated stuff with
dpkg, because updates of those packages would require ncurses3.0, which
requires ncurses-base, which conflicts with ncurses-runtime, which is
required by the older versions of these packages.

Thoughts?  Can dselect pull this off?

Mike.
--
"ncurses is my life."