Re: re:-O2 or -O3 ?

  IanJ> We're building a distribution, so it makes sense to trade off
  IanJ> computation at build time against computation at run time.

I agree. I had asked for opinions with respect to the increase in size.
Several people reminded me that this is presumably due to inlining functions
or to lookup tables.

After all, -O3 might well offset, or even gain over, the ELF "loss" due to
the lost register. And ELF seems to create smaller executables so that the
size increase cause by -O3 does matter less.

--
Dirk Eddelb|ttel                                http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd