Re: Packaging (sorry for changing subject)

Erick Branderhorst writes ("Packaging (sorry for changing subject)"):
> Ian Jackson wrote:
> >Maintainers who change only the control file or something still have
> >to upload a new source tree, unfortunately, but we can if we like
> >avoid this by having them submit only a new diff and reconstructing
> >the .tar.gz on the distribution site using a simple script.  That
> >supports 6a and 6b.
>
> I would like to vote for this simple script reconstructing a new
> source be the default.

There are perils with doing things like this - namely, that it's much
easier for the source and binary to get out of step.  I think that
most package maintainers should do things the same way we have been
doing; I'm unconvinced as yet whether we should officially support
doing it some other way or just let the package maintainer get some
other helpful person to do the rebuild for them.

Ian.

PS: We don't vote here.