Packaging (sorry for changing subject)

Ian Jackson wrote:
>Maintainers who change only the control file or something still have
>to upload a new source tree, unfortunately, but we can if we like
>avoid this by having them submit only a new diff and reconstructing
>the .tar.gz on the distribution site using a simple script.  That
>supports 6a and 6b.

I would like to vote for this simple script reconstructing a new
source be the default.

Bruce Perens wrote:
>> 6a. No unnecessary up/down-loading by maintainers.
>
>Is this such a big issue? With your overseas FTP problems you can judge
>that, but I'd feel more confident if the maintainer uploaded the entire
>package as one piece.

I don't think it happens very often but there might be maintainer out
there who are uploading using slow 14k4 telephone lines paying every
second of connection time. If there is a good way we can provide as
less as possible bandwidth I think we should.

Erick Branderhorst

--
Erick Branderhorst@heel.fgg.eur.nl +31-10-4635142
Department of General Surgery (Intensive Care) University Hospital Rotterdam NL