Linux init-time errors since elf upgrade

I've been seeing this since I installed the elf upgrade packages.
I was hoping that someone with a better handle on it than me would
report it, but I've seen no report.  I'm not casting this as a
bug report since I'm not sure where to attribute it.

The error I see accurs during processing of /etc/initd/modules.
Between "Calculating dependencies ..." and "done", I see about
lines of "sh:  /bin/nm cannot execute binary file".  There's
noting in between there except "depmod -a".  Manually running
"depmod -a" after the system is up does not produce these messages.

mitchell@mdd.comm.mot.com (Bill Mitchell)