Re: [bcwhite@bnr.ca: New Packages-Master]

> Date:  Tue, 7 Nov 1995 11:06:00 -0500
> From: "brian (b.c.) white" <bcwhite@bnr.ca>
> To: imurdock@debian.org
> Subject:  New Packages-Master
>
> I noticed that the "Packages-Master" file now has a "filename:" field.
> I'm curious about what will happen when (if?) you create seperate
> directories for different "releases" of Debian.

The Packages-Master file will contain information about the `released'
system.  It is simply the concatenation of debian-current/Packages,
contrib/Packages and non-free/Packages.

It is intended mainly for human consumption.  Certainly anything that
is trying to locate packages or list those available should use the
individual Packages files under debian-0.93, debian-1.0, contrib and
non-free.

> Also, Packages-Master does not seem to have all the packages listed
> within it.  Though I have not checked it fully, at least the experimental
> packages are not included.  Since this is the "Master", I think all
> should be included.  Selection programs such as 'dftp' can hide packages
> >from  the user very easily, if so desired, but it is very hard to include
> them if the information is not readily available in the first place.

That's right, the experimental packages are not included.  We need a
directory where we can just dump things that are experimental and
don't want to be included in the various automatic lists of things -
and project/experimental is it.

Bleeding edge packages should go in the bleeding edge tree, which has
its own Packages file.  If people feel that those packages should be
listed in Packages-Master too I'm open to comments, but I'd be
inclined to suggest that we don't want to encourage people who don't
know what they're doing to use that tree.

Ian.