dpkg approaching 1.0 and non-beta status

There are a number of things I want to do to dpkg, but I think they
all count as extra features, rather than bugfixes.  I therefore
propose to call dpkg non-beta very shortly, and issue version 1.0.0.

NB that dpkg version numbers will then no longer have any apparent
resemblance to Debian release numbers.  The resemblance was
misleading, anyway, but I haven't been able to do much about it yet,
because I couldn't call dpkg 1.0 until it wasn't beta, and I couldn't
reduce the version number below 0.93.x, which is the number I
inherited.

Ian.