Re: root disk problems

On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I ran into several problems while testing the root disk.
>[...]
> 4. In the disk selection menu box, rather than "First IDE disk", try
>    "First non-SCSI hard drive"  . ST-506 disks on the AT hard disk controller
>    are still supported, and we probably don't want to say "IDE/MFM/RLL/ST-506" .

Along this line, I recall being troubled by the "root=/dev/fd1"
for a 5" disk on the root disk prompt screen.  Some installers
will have their 5" disks on /dev/fd0, and some MSDOS converts
will not be familar with the fd0, fd1 linux terminology.

I couldn't think of a good-enough replacement message which was
sufficiently terse to fit in the available space, though.