root disk problems
I ran into several problems while testing the root disk.
1. The symbolic link /vmlinuz -> /boot/vmlinuz-1.2.13 does not exist.
This is one reason that it isn't possible to create the boot floppy.
I suspect this link was deleted when Ian revised the "image"
package. Ian did not see the problem because it did not show up
until I made new base disks with the new "image" package. I'll
upload a new "image" package to fix this problem, and make new base
2. If you can't create a boot floppy, you have to press reset to break
out of the loop. There's no escape to the shell, interrupt doesn't
3. In the "There was a problem creating the root disk" notification box,
it should suggest "Make sure the disk isn't write-protected. The disk
must be formatted - an unformatted one won't work. If nothing else helps,
try another disk."
4. In the disk selection menu box, rather than "First IDE disk", try
"First non-SCSI hard drive" . ST-506 disks on the AT hard disk controller
are still supported, and we probably don't want to say "IDE/MFM/RLL/ST-506" .
5.. The modules menus should say how to check the boxes.
6. The "cancel" button should go back to the previous menu. It never does,
as far as I can tell. There's no way to back out.
7. In the block modules menu, "aztcd" is not "???", but the
"Aztech/Orchid/Okeano/Wearnes non-IDE CD-ROM drive".
-- Attention Radio Amateurs: For information on "Linux for Hams",
-- read the WWW page http://www.hams.com/LinuxForHams,
-- or e-mail the word "help" to email@example.com