Re: Postgres file locations

A message from David H. Silber arrived and said:
> For the database files, it would be good if the user has the option of
> placing them in his/her own home directory.  (I am assuming that multiple
> people could be using postgres for multiple different databases.  Each
> might want to maintain control over their own database in terms of
> permissions, etc.)

That is not possible due to the way postgres works. Postgres is designed to
be a multiuser database, that is why there is a special postgres user. Which
doesn't have to have uid==6 as of ver 4.2 BTW. All databases are maintained
by the postgres database server, all files are mode 600 and owned by the
postgres user. That way there is no way to mess with the database itself.

  \ /\  | Erwin J. van Eijk | wabbit@corner.iaf.nl | The standard disclaimer
  ( )   +-------------------+ ia_ej@cs.utwente.nl  | applies to this message