Package construction Guidelines
It seems to me that these are now very seriously out of date.
Is anyone working on a revision ?
Amongst the issues that need to be addressed are:
- start-stop-daemon, init.d, rc.d, rc.misc, update-rc.d [+]
- extended descriptions
- logfile rotation [+]
- release announcements
- dpkg-handled versus postinst-handled and frequently-modified
configuration files [+]
- HTML descriptions [*] [+]
- X library handling [+]
- robustness and error checking in maintainer scripts.
- competing-package solutions (vi, &c) [*] [+]
- Various things to do with dpkg's maintainer scripts (some [+])
- The Source field.
- Virtual packages, including procedure for allocating virtual
package names and for double-checking control files [*],
and providing good defaults by naming packages explicitly [+].
[*] These things are still under discussion.
[+] These things are applicable only to certain packages, and are
perhaps best dealt with in appendices written by relevant package
maintainers, with a strong requirement in the Guidelines proper to
read appropriate appendices.