Re: Suggestions for http://www.debian.org/ home page

> 1. When viewing the page in `lynx' the space before each hyperlink is
> highlighted too.  This is due to having the <A href="..."> tag on the
> previous line.  This may make it look nicer in the source, but the
> whitespace is significant.

This has been changed now.

> 2. It would be good to be able to jump straight from the home page to
> some or all of the sub-pages of each section.  For example, the
> various bug index and information pages could be available directly,
> as well as the indices for each mailing list archive, the headings for
> each FAQ list.

The result would be more like the Linux Documentation Project homepage,
which IMHO is overcrowded.

> When you say
>   * Documentation (FAQ, Manuals, Books, ...)
> it would be good if as well as Documentation being a link to the
> documentation page, FAQ were a link to the FAQ, Books a link to the
> books, &c.

The "FAQ" has been linked now. Since we have several books and manuals,
I think it is better not to link these.

> 3. When viewing the page in `Netscape' I see loads of icons that seem
> to me to take up more screen area than I like.  Perhaps this is a
> personal thing, but I find that though they look less `flashy'
> ordinary <UL> lists (nested if necessary) are easier on the eye.
>
> More restrained use of graphics - and less `cartoonish' ones - tends
> to make a better impression on me anyway.

I've taken over this page from the version prepared by Ian M. and
(Mike Dickey or Matt Bailey). Though for personal use, I prefer
"dull" or "straight" pages concentrating on the text,
I think it is important to have a "Welcome" page which is visually
attractive.

> 4. There is a large picture of something which I assume is supposed to
> be a gnu.  It is cute, but inappropriate, I think.  In any case it is
> too large.

A baby GNU actually. Too large as a picture, or too much data?

> We need a logo, but I don't think that's it.

I've fallen in love with this logo, but "de gustibus non disputandum est".

> 5. There should be links to the Linux Documentation Project home page
> and to various general Linux, Unix and PC hardware FAQs.

The LDP home page is already present (http://www.debian.org/Documentation/),
and provides for the general Linux documentation.

As for the Unix FAQs, I don't have any objection to add them, but
I'd prefer if someone can give me a nice, short sentence
explaining that some documentation is more appropriate than other,
and explaining the hierarchy of appropriateness first.

As for the Hardware FAQs, please indicate which you want to see
mentioned.

Greetings,
Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.