Re: Changes to source guidelines

On Mon, 11 Apr 1994 imurdock@gnu.ai.mit.edu wrote:

> * [Hard vs. symbolic links in the manual page directories...]
>
> Please do not create hard links in the manual page directories; use
> symbolic links instead.
>
> [ I had this completely backwards; I meant the other way around.
> Sorry. :) ]

Why???? The only real benefit of symbolic links is that they can be used
between files on different file systems. Will the really be any systems
with files in the same directory on different file systems? So-called
hard links can be smaller and quicker, and they *never* point off into
empty file space, so why not use them?

Charlie Brady * (W) charlieb@tplrd.tpl.oz.au * (H) charlieb@budge.apana.org.au
"Make it as simple as possible - | Tel: (02) 413 6838 ____Telectronics__| /\__
  but no simpler"   Einstein, A  | Fax: (02) 413 6868 Pacing Systems    \/