Re: tar: "./<file>" or "<file>"

On Wed, 6 Apr 1994, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Background: Debian 0.93 may move back to the tar format.
>
> Why?
>
> 1. tar files are smaller
..
> Now, Is there any reason to use one command line over the other?
>
> $ tar cvf file.tar ./usr
>
> or
>
> $  tar cvf file.tar usr
Well the first has at least 2 x number of files more bytes!?:-)

I know when extracting a single file I am more likely to type:
 tar xf file.tar path/path/file
and
 ls path/path/file
than the ./path/path/file version.

I think that the move back to tar will make Debian less alien to the
existing Linux community.

Charlie Brady * (W) charlieb@tplrd.tpl.oz.au * (H) charlieb@budge.apana.org.au
"Make it as simple as possible - | Tel: (02) 413 6838 ____Telectronics__| /\__
  but no simpler"   Einstein, A  | Fax: (02) 413 6868 Pacing Systems    \/