groff inquiry

In your message of Sat, 09 Apr 1994 15:57:00 PDT, you write:
+---------------
| neqn   - terrible output :-)
+------------->8

Anyone expecting decent text formatting to an ASCII device deserves what they
get :-)

| Interestingly enough, afmtodit and grog are Perl scripts.  Yes, perl4
| is now a required package for groff.
+------------->8

A recent development, surely?  On my Slackware 1.1.1 system grog is a shell
script.

| The only instance where I think this is a significant factor is nroff.
| Anything other program is bound to require changes.
+------------->8

I didn't speak up before because, while the lack of gnroff->nroff is sometimes
an annoyance, troff isn't compatible anyway... except perhaps if you make it
look like Adobe Transcript; an annoying number of Makefiles for pachages I've
gotten off the net expect to format their documentation using Transcript.

BTW, while I don't have the time to produce an MH package for Debian in the
face of libc-4.4.4, a hyperactive client at work who's absorbing all my free
time, and the need to rewrite the entire configuration system to make it (a)
fit FSSTND and (b) handle Linux shared libraries if I expect to produce a
decent drop-in source distribution (if you have a strong stomach, take a look
at mh-6.8.3-patch.tar.gz on sunsite for the current ugly hack), I *can* fairly
easily produce an exmh-1.3 package.  exmh is a replacement for xmh which is
written in Tk (so the required packages would be Tcl, Tk, and MH); I've been a
beta tester for it since the first release, and it's fairly solid.  One of its
biggest advantages over xmh is that it can handle some MIME extensions itself
and knows how to pass off what it doesn't understand to metamail (which is
optional, I haven't needed it yet).  Other optional things it would like are:
a sound driver (! - but it's not used very much as yet), expect (for FTP
retrieval - or it can run ftp directly), and a faces database.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery	   kf8nh@kf8nh.ampr.org		 bsa@kf8nh.wariat.org
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years