package interdependencies

I'm new to Debian, so be patient if this has been discussed, but the
current package dependency mechanism seems rather limited.  I think it
makes more sense from a maintainence standpoint to have each package
keep a list of packages upon which it depends, instead of the current
scheme wherein each package knows which packages depend upon it.

As Debian grows, changing package A whenever some new package that depends
on package A is added will be a large headache.  Incremental upgrades are
a whole different story.

Comments?