Re: package interdependencies

Your message dated: Fri, 25 Feb 94 23:30:00 PST

>I'm new to Debian, so be patient if this has been discussed, but the
>current package dependency mechanism seems rather limited.  I think it
>makes more sense from a maintainence standpoint to have each package
>keep a list of packages upon which it depends, instead of the current
>scheme wherein each package knows which packages depend upon it.
>
>As Debian grows, changing package A whenever some new package that depends
>on package A is added will be a large headache.  Incremental upgrades are
>a whole different story.
>
>Comments?

I really like this idea! I tried to state before, but I wasnt successfull
Example.. The gcc stuff (pretty much) depends on the gas stuff and the
kernel depends on the gcc stuff.. But its really stated anywhere,
When I think of grabbing gcc, I think Id be grabbing gdd ld and gas
but not so..

paul