Re: Fwd: boundary between main and contrib

Hi Bret,

almost there :)

The only thing I'd like have fixed is the copyright thing,
sorry for the confusion I've created on this. See below for details.

Am Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:45:45AM -0600 schrieb bret curtis:

> Hello,
>
> working through these now, will also work through previous email as time
> permits. :)
> Answering inline:
>
> On 2021-01-18 at 16:11, tobi@debian.org wrote:
> > PS: Build completed and lintian made me aware of those:
> > (I removed some that are not urgent right now and take some significant
> effort,
> > like no-manual-pages one; please run lintian yourself, at least when
> uploading for bookworm.)
>
> I do run lintian... perhaps help2man would be enough? Is this a blocker to
> release? 0.47 is about to go into RC phase soon.

I meant by removing them from the list: no problem, those can wait.
(Sorry for the confusion.)

> > Due to the change of "Description:"
> > W: openmw: description-synopsis-starts-with-article
> > I: openmw: synopsis-is-a-sentence "An open-source open-world RPG game
> engine."
>
> Done
>
> > I: openmw source: out-of-date-standards-version 4.5.0 (released
> 2020-01-20) (current is 4.5.1)
>
> Done

Ack. Thanks!

> > Completly overlooked that: The new version must be 0.46.0-2
> > W: openmw source: maintainer-upload-has-incorrect-version-number
> 0.46.0-1.2
>
> I didn't upload 0.46.0-1.1, that was done by Anton Gladky
> <gladk@debian.org>  Wed, 16 Dec 2020 23:25:18
> so I assumed he knew more than I and I just followed the schema. I'll
> correct this.

The ".1" after the Debian revision has a special meaning, denoting an Non
Maintainer Upload. See
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#nmus-and-debian-changelog
(and https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-version
on Package-Versions in general) for more details.
As you not doing a Maintainer Upload, you increase the Debian revision normally.
So you want 0.46.0-2 ;-)

> > Missing entry in d/copyright for that file:
> > W: openmw source: inconsistent-appstream-metadata-license
> files/openmw.appdata.xml (cc0-1.0 != gpl-3+)
>
> Done

> > Has this patch been forwared to upstream?
> > I: openmw source: patch-not-forwarded-upstream
> debian/patches/fix_ftbs_openmw.patch
>
> Yes;
> https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/blob/master/components/detournavigator/offmeshconnectionsmanager.hpp#L14

Cool!

This fact is usually denoted in the dep3 header with the
Forwarded: and AppliedUpstream: fields.
Details for dep3: https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep3/
Real-Life-Example:
https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/darkradiant/-/blob/master/debian/patches/02-fix-pybind11-crash.patch

> Just to be clear, I'm also OpenMW's project lead. :)

Opps, didn't know that! Thanks for telling and thanks for being upstream! Kudos!

With that information: I gave you bad advice with the d/copyright on debian/*:

In this case it is not needed to have an extra stance in debian/copyright for yourself,
because the Files: * section includes that.
Sorry about that, may I ask you to delete that again…

Regarging the entry for this:

+Files: files/openmw.appdata.xml
+Copyright: OpenMW Development Team
+License: CC0

Please s/CC0/CC0-1.0 and add a License paragraph:
License: CC0-1.0
 CC0 1.0 Universal
 .
 On a Debian system a full copy of the CC0 1.0 Universal license is available in
 /usr/share/common-licenses/CC0-1.0

> > Why not use compat level 13?
> > P: openmw source: package-uses-old-debhelper-compat-version 12
>
> Upgrading to 13 causes build to fail because:
>
> dh_missing: warning: usr/share/licenses/openmw/DejaVu Font License.txt
> exists in debian/tmp but is not installed to anywhere
> The following debhelper tools have reported what they installed (with files
> per package)
> * dh_install: openmw (2), openmw-cs (6), openmw-data (11), openmw-launcher
> (5)
> * dh_installdocs: openmw (0), openmw-cs (0), openmw-data (0),
> openmw-launcher (0)
> * dh_installman: openmw (2), openmw-cs (1), openmw-data (0),
> openmw-launcher (3)
> If the missing files are installed by another tool, please file a bug
> against it.
> When filing the report, if the tool is not part of debhelper itself, please
> reference the
> "Logging helpers and dh_missing" section from the "PROGRAMMING" guide for
> debhelper (10.6.3+).
>   (in the debhelper package: /usr/share/doc/debhelper/PROGRAMMING.gz)
> Be sure to test with dpkg-buildpackage -A/-B as the results may vary when
> only a subset is built
> If the omission is intentional or no other helper can take care of this
> consider adding the
> paths to debian/not-installed.
>
> How do I fix this?

dh_missing(1) warns about that it has detected that that file has not beeing
installed. To fix that, you add it to debian/not-installed if it is ok not to
install said file (as in this case)

See here for an real life example:
https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/darkradiant/-/blob/master/debian/not-installed

PS: The not-installed does not work with spaces in the filename,
you have to write into that file something like that:
debian/tmp/usr/share/licenses/openmw/DejaVu*Font*License.txt

(If it makes troubles, just keep compat 12 for now.)

> > Easy to fix, see Policy.
> > P: openmw source: silent-on-rules-requiring-root
>
> Done
>
> Cheers,
> Bret

Cheers,