Re: [RFS] minigalaxy - simple GOG client

On Fri, Jan 08, 2021 at 01:23:32PM +0000, Stephan Lachnit wrote:
> Interesting. I put Minigalaxy into contrib with basically the same argument
> as winetricks is in contrib (which is fully free without non-free dependencies).
> Is there a strict guideline for this?

The Debian Policy at
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#the-contrib-archive-area
says (among other things):

"The contrib archive area contains supplemental packages intended to
work with the Debian distribution, but which require software outside
of the distribution to either build or function."

I am not familiar with minigalaxy nor lgogdownload, but from the
description it would seem to me that their whole puprose is to
download stuff outside of Debian "main" and run it on the system
(eg. GOG is required to perform primary function of the package)?

If so, it would make it a "contrib" IMHO (if the software being
packaged is completely DFSG), or "non-free" (if it is not).

Basically, you can ask yourself a question "Would people still be
using this package, if all functionality that downloads stuff
outside of Debian "main" archive was removed from it?"

If the answer is "yes", then it is material for "main".
If "no", than it is not.

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.