Re: could we have Tales of MajEyal in Debian ?

Reply in-line :-

On 03/03/2020, Carlos Donizete Froes <coringao@riseup.net> wrote:
> Hi Shirish,

Hi Carlos,

>> Dear all,
>>
>> Would it be possible to have Tales of MajEyal in Debian. The only
>> trouble I see is that the package name is tome2 which is similar to
>> the name of a game maintained by Manoj Srivastava -
>>
>> tome ( Troubles of Middle Earth) although the difference seems to end
>> there.  While the package that Manoj maintains requires libsdl1.2 and
>> boost libraries, Tales of MajEyal requires OpenGL, libsdl2.0,
>> premake4, all of which are now in Debian. You can also see the
>> difference from the screenshots shared at
>> https://te4.org/tome/screenshots.
>>
>> The only issue I see is the license which says 'relicensing the code
>> as the developer seems fit' although he does mention that the game
>> will always be open-source. The cool thing is this game also seems to
>> be inspired by Angband as so many foss rpg's have.
>>
>> https://git.net-core.org/tome/t-engine4/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING
>>
>> I am open to put an RFP onto it, if there might be people interested
>> in packaging it ? I am open to helping with testing it so that any
>> initial issues which might be there are caught and we can have the
>> game in the repository.
>
> I am not DD or DM, but I am interested in packaging it, where I downloaded
> the full
> version of the source code to learn more about the license part of the files
> and the
> compilation to be tested[1][2].
>
> [1] https://te4.org/download
>
> [2] http://te4.org/dl/t-engine/t-engine4-src-1.6.7.tar.bz2
>
> Regarding the game license, it is apparently acceptable to be in Debian.
>
> I currently used the libraries to test: "make, premake4, libopenal-dev,
> libpng-dev,
> libsdl2-dev, libsdl2-image-dev, libsdl2-mixer-dev, libsdl2-ttf-dev,
> libvorbis-dev".
>
> I had to add a command in the file "premake4.lua" to fix a bug that was not
> finding SDL2.
>
> === added command ===
>
> configuration { "linux", "gmake" }
>         buildoptions { "`pkg-config --cflags sdl2`" }
>         linkoptions { "`pkg-config --libs sdl2`" }
>
> === end ===
>
> I can create a patch with this fix in the package, but here's the tip for
> the upstream in
> the next version of the game. :)
>
> If you allow me, I will start the packaging with the name "tome" (Tales of
> Maj'Eyal).
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Carlos Donizete Froes [a.k.a coringao]
> ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian Wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/coringao
> ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ GPG: 4096R/B638B780
> ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀  2157 630B D441 A775 BEFF  D35F FA63 ADA6 B638 B780

I am neither a DD or DM, just somebody who is interested in Debian
quite a bit as a contributor.

Having said that. the best way perhaps is to do two-three things -

a. Open an ITP (Intent to Package) bug using the Debian WNPP using
reportbug into the Debian BTS so others know you are working on this .
[1]

b. Make an account on salsa.debian.org, mirror the Tales of Majeyal
there, as well as do all the packaging there. You will see many teams
including the debian-games-team using infrastructure therein to keep
games updated. [2]

c. Last but not the least, after you have done all, put the package on
mentors.debian.net so that they can help you find if there are any
mistakes in packaging or anything. At this point you may have to file
an RFS (Request for Sponsorship) for the same package. You may also
see some on debian BTS, that as well.  [3]

However, please take what all I say with more than a pinch of salt as
I do not speak on behalf of the project in anyway or form. The DD's
and DM's here would be able to able to give you more insight than I
can as they do it day in and day out and hence are more familiar with
how the process works.  :)

1. https://wnpp.debian.net/
2. https://salsa.debian.org/games-team
3. https://mentors.debian.net

          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

E493 D466 6D67 59F5 1FD0 930F 870E 9A5B 5869 609C