 Subject: Re: Please sponsor my game bug=923180
 To: "Pedro Pena" <qbancoffee@yahoo.com>
 Cc: debian-devel-games@lists.debian.org
 Date: Thursday, February 28, 2019, 4:54 PM

 Hello Pedro,

 Am 24.02.19 um 21:50 schrieb Pedro Pena:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I would like to request a sponsor to test
 and upload my game.

 > I have uploaded a game and submitted an
 RFS set to ITP.

 > Thank you,
 >
 > Pedro

 wanted to give you some feedback for your package
 infinitetux. There
 are some issues that have
 to be resolved first before we can think about
 uploading it.

 Let's start with the more important
 things.

 = prebuilt software
 without source =

 You have
 to remove the infinite-tux-linux_64bit.zip file from your
 upstream tarball. You don't need to provide
 precompiled JDK class files
 in Debian
 because you can just depend on our default-jre package
 which
 will provide all necessary
 functionality. In any case in Debian we build
 everything from source and package different
 libraries or applications
 in different
 packages and prebuilt software without source can't
 be
 uploaded.

 = copyright =

 You should document the original license of the
 game in
 debian/copyright. Using copyright
 format 1.0 was a good choice and the
 syntax
 is correct. However the original license was not GPL-3+ and
 your
 newly created content was also derived
 from other sources with different
 licenses.
 So ideally it would be like that:

 Files: *
 Copyright: 2006,
 Markus Persson
 License: public-domain

 License: public-domain
  Here goes all the license text

 Please mention the full
 license text from Markus Persson including a
 link to the original unmodified sources even if
 it is public-domain we
 need to document it.
 Our ftp team, who approves or disapproves new
 Debian packages, should be able to verify the
 claim that the game code
 was really granted
 to the public domain.

 Then
 you can add more paragraphs for the actual content:

 Files: vim
 src/main/resources/bgsheet.png
 Copyright:
 2014, some guy
 License: CC-BY-SA-3.0

 License: CC-BY-SA-3.0
  Here goes the license text of the CC-BY-SA-3.0
 license

 If you have created
 a derived work you can add yourself to Copyright too.

 The debian paragraph

 Files: debian/*
 Copyright: Copyright 2018 qbancoffee <qbancoffee@yahoo.com>
 License: GPL-3+

 is OK!

 = The
 build system =

 At the
 moment you use two different build systems, Maven and a
 self-made
 Makefile. I suggest to stick with
 the pom.xml file and create a Maven
 project
 that is completely self-sufficient, meaning third-parties
 can
 simply run Maven and the output will be
 a jar file which can be run with
 OpenJDK 8
 or later. I would avoid mixing Debian specific packaging
 with
 everything that is required to compile
 the game and make your upstream
 project
 distribution-independent. Fedora, Gentoo, SuSe, etc. will
 thank
 you, if they ever wanted to include
 infinitetux as well.

 =
 debian/rules =

 The
 debian/rules file must provide certain targets to comply
 with the
 Debian Policy. The most simplistic
 rules file would look like that:

 #!/usr/bin/make -f
 %:
     dh $@

 Since you have two build systems dh would
 probably try to use your
 Makefile because
 you don't build-depend on maven-debian-helper. I
 couldn't verify that yet.

 So if you want to use the
 Maven build system then use

 dh $@ --buildsystem=maven

 If there is only a pom.xml in the root
 directory, you can keep the
 current form
 because dh will autodetect the correct build system.

 I would completely drop the
 current Makefile and ship a desktop file
 instead, and move all necessary code to
 debian/rules. Thinking about it
 right now,
 you could just use javahelper to build your package. You
 don't even have to use Maven because the
 code seems to use only core
 classes and
 doesn't depend on external libraries.

 Just use

 dh $@ --with javahelper

 override_dh_auto_build:

 jh_build --no-javadoc --javacopts="-source 1.8 -target
 1.8"
 infinitetux.jar src

 Then modify
 debian/control and build-depend on

 default-jdk and javahelper. At the moment the
 game would not compile in
 a clean chroot
 environement because you build-depend on openjdk-8-jre
 but that's only the Java runtime.

 The Depends line should look
 like that:

 Depends:
 ${misc:Depends}, jarwrapper, default-jre | java8-runtime

 Note the | sign. That means
 users will install the default Java runtime
 environment (which is Java 11 at the moment) by
 default but if they have
 openjdk-8-jre
 installed, the dependency would be satisfied as well and
 they didn't have to install the
 default-jre.

 Minor
 stuff:

 Standards-Version is
 4.3.0

 Section should be
 games.

 Build-dependency on
 gzip is not necessary because gzip is an essential
 package, it is guaranteed to be installed on
 every Debian system.

 debian/compat: debhelper 12 is recommended
 these days.

 The manpage
 infinitetux.7 should be infinitetux.6 because games are
 in
 section 6.

 Ok, that's it for now. If you have any
 questions, feel free to ask and
 we try to
 make the perfect Debian package together.

 Regards,

 Markus