Re: packaging game servers for Debian?

Am 22.12.2017 um 03:57 schrieb Paul Wise:
[...]
> Does anyone have any examples?

I believe in most cases we already ship a -server package for network
games. For instance megaglest, ufoai, redeclipse, bzflag, openarena,
wesnoth etc. provide their own standalone server package. The situation
is different for master/meta servers like dpmaster [1] or the megaglest
master server [2]. They are only needed once, so those kind of packages
would receive very little testing. Upstreams often discourage the use of
a different master server because they want to ensure that the player
pool isn't split between them which simply makes it harder to find other
players for online games.

In general I'm in favor of packaging such master servers for Debian but
I suppose there is little interest from the community and as long as we
struggle to keep our 400+ packages in shape I can't see that someone
from Debian is doing all the packaging work in the near future.

Markus

[1] https://dpmaster.deathmask.net/
[2] https://github.com/MegaGlest/megaglest-masterserver