Re: packaging game servers for Debian?

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:

> [master/meta servers] are only needed once, so those kind of packages
> would receive very little testing. Upstreams often discourage the use of
> a different master server because they want to ensure that the player
> pool isn't split between them which simply makes it harder to find other
> players for online games.

I can imagine a couple of situations where that packaging would be
useful for an intentionally split player pool:

Those huge LAN parties might want to avoid flooding the global player
pool with lots of people at one time.

A group of friends might want to play amongst themselves without
competition from more advanced players around the world.

> In general I'm in favor of packaging such master servers for Debian but
> I suppose there is little interest from the community and as long as we
> struggle to keep our 400+ packages in shape I can't see that someone
> from Debian is doing all the packaging work in the near future.

Agreed.

--
bye,
pabs