Re: mozjs38 in Debian

Hello Jeremy,

Adding Debian-devel-games list.

mozjs38 is in Ubuntu because it was needed (briefly) for GNOME 3.24.
It's still in Ubuntu because cjs hasn't been ported to mozjs52 yet.

The packaging is at
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-gnome/mozjs38.git

Could 0ad use a distro mozjs38 if it were packaged in Debian?

I don't know.
As Vincent Cheng (0ad Debian maintainer) wrote in [2]:
" I'll also point out that 0ad applies some local patches on top of
whatever mozjs release they're using at the time [1]. My understanding
is that they've tried to have these patches applied upstream but were
rejected. "

Ideally, 0ad would switch to mozjs52 before Debian 10 "Buster" is released.

Ideally 0ad upstream should NOT embed mozjsXX.

The patch FixTracelogger.diff [3] used by 0ad to modify mozjs-38 is not a small patch.
I have no idea if 0ad can easily use mozjs52 (or another version) without patches.

Has anybody already tried to use an "unpatched" mozjs with 0ad?

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Bye

[1] http://sources.debian.net/src/0ad/0.0.21-2/libraries/source/spidermonkey/