Re: I propose my help for maintaining 0ad

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 6:08 AM, Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 14:58:45 +0200, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
>> The problem is with the script libraries/source/spidermonkey/mozjs-38.0.0/
>> python/mach/mach/mixin/process.py
>
> Ugh, an embedded code copy of an outdated mozjs? I hope this isn't being
> used to execute untrusted JavaScript code from mods or similar...

Unfortunately yes, but unless someone volunteers to port 0ad to the
precise mozjs version that happens to be in Debian at the time, this
will remain the status quo.

I'll also point out that 0ad applies some local patches on top of
whatever mozjs release they're using at the time [1]. My understanding
is that they've tried to have these patches applied upstream but were
rejected.

> (mozjs38 was never in Debian, but mozjs52 is now available in unstable,
> although it has portability issues which are still in progress.)

Portability is a non-issue for 0ad as it has other dependencies which
are not portable and restricted to a subset of archs
(nvidia-texture-tools), and given how 0ad seems to FTBFS on !amd64
!i386 every other release in Debian, 0ad itself probably isn't all
that portable to begin with.

Regards,
Vincent

[1] http://sources.debian.net/src/0ad/0.0.21-2/libraries/source/spidermonkey/