Re: Ongoing lugaru packaging

On Tue, 2017-05-23 at 23:44 +0200, Rémi Verschelde wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got some questions regarding the lugaru packaging:
> >
> > 1. I have removed the wrapper launch script, which means that when the
> >    package is updated, the user will need to manually move the old saved
> >    profile and saved games. I have not tested if using the configs from
> >    0~20110520.1+hge4354+dfsg-4.1 works in 1.2, and I'm tempted to treat
> >    them as incompatible in order to be able to drop the launcher script
> >    and not worry about migration.
>
> I can confirm that the config file and saved games from pre-1.1
> versions would be incompatible with 1.1 and 1.2.
>
> I've just tried the old "rev269" GNU/Linux binary from
> https://bitbucket.org/osslugaru/lugaru/downloads/, the moved the
> config file and users progress save to the expected locations for 1.2,
> and got:
> - for the config, parsing error on some changed arguments and EOF
> reached unexpectedly; that's non critical, it then discards that
> config and uses the default, so the config is fixed next time it is
> saved.
> - for the user saves ("users" file), it stalled loading the game.
>
> Definitely not the best handling of legacy saves we could have come up
> with, but at least it confirms that it would be better to knowingly
> prevent loading previous saves (as we did by changing the paths).
>
> Regards,
>
> Rémi Verschelde / Akien

There is about a year between rev269 (which based no wayback machine
seems to be from around Git commit 4be688a) and the current 0_20110520.1
+hge4354 version in Debian (from Git ba0a3e9), so I tested from this as
well, and it looks like the users file seems to work for continuing a
saved main campaign, but the config is still a nope, so I think I will
leave it up to the user to experiment with them.

--
Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>