Announcing Lugaru 1.1, now fully DFSG-free

Hi Martin and the Debian games team,

TL;DR: Lugaru is now 100% DFSG-free and it would be awesome if the new
version could go into Debian main for the next stable, obsoleting the
current contrib/nonfree openlugaru [0].

I'm happy to announce the release of Lugaru 1.1 by the OSS Lugaru
project [1], which among other fixes and improvements is now 100%
DFSG-free. Indeed, David Rosen from Wolfire agreed to relicense all
assets under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license [2], and other mods that we
added to the main tree are licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 and 4.0.

You can read the full release notes and download the source tarball here [3].

## About upstream / OSS Lugaru

Note that this OSS Lugaru group on GitLab is the same upstream as the
project that was hosted on Bitbucket [4] and packaged as openlugaru in
Debian [0]. In particular, we still have Côme Chilliet (MCMic) and
Neal Gompa on the team, and I'm the most recent addition. We chose to
migrate from Bitbucket/hg to GitLab/git as we're more familiar with
git nowadays, and want to support the development of the libre GitLab
CE (though we are using GitLab.com and not a self-hosted instance, but
that's a first step).

## Packaging changes

As Neal Gompa and myself are packagers (Mageia and Fedora), we worked
on improving the packager-friendliness of Lugaru. We dehardcoded the
data files lookup (which previously required a `Data/` folder next to
the game binary), so it is easy to install the binary in `/usr/games`
and the data in `/usr/share/games/lugaru`. The system-wide data lookup
needs to be triggered via a CMake switch, otherwise it will default to
looking up the data in the build folder. So for Debian, this should do
the trick:

   cmake -DSYSTEM_INSTALL=ON \
      -DCMAKE_INSTALL_BINDIR=games \
      -DCMAKE_INSTALL_DATADIR=share/games

(absolute paths for the CMAKE_INSTALL_* arguments work fine too)

Then classical make and make install, you know the drill.

We also provide a .desktop file, an appdata/metainfo file, an icon and
a man page, as well as explicit documentation about the license of
every file.

The only dependency change should be the switch from SDL 1.2 to SDL 2.
We have tested the game against libjpeg-turbo, but other libjpeg
upstreams might work too.

You can build with GCC or Clang, as you prefer, and CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS
and LDFLAGS from the environment should be supported out of the box.

If you are fluent in RPM spec files, here's the one I used for Mageia [5].

## Package naming and versioning

We suggest to use `lugaru` as binary and package name. "OSS Lugaru" is
the name of the upstream team, but the game itself is still named
Lugaru / Lugaru HD, and is endorsed by Wolfire itself (they mentioned
us in their recent blog post about adding the Lugaru campaign in their
upcoming Overgrowth game [6], and the OSS Lugaru version might be used
in the future for their commercial version on Steam and the Humble
Store too.

This is the first ever tagged release of the open source Lugaru
project, but we chose to version it 1.1 as some distros had already
chosen to package a 1.0 version - also, we consider the original open
source release to be "1.0" even if untagged, and therefore this is the
second open source release.

## Assets sources

I know that it is often required of libre assets that they come with
source files such as .xcf, .svg and .blend files. The CC-BY-SA 3.0 and
4.0 assets provided in Lugaru do not have such source files, so the
rendered binary files have to be considered as such.

The Lugaru modding community had created some scripts to generate
.blend files from some of the assets IINM, as well as export scripts
to generate the custom format from Blender, but we haven't had time
yet to look more into this. Ideally, we should be able to generate
some assets sources so that the final game assets can be improved and
bugfixed.

Feel free to get in touch with us (all OSS Lugaru devs are in CC) if
you have any questions. It would be great to get this new DFSG-free
Lugaru included in Debian testing for the next stable, but I know the
timing is quite short now.

Regards,
Rémi Verschelde / Akien

[0] https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=lugaru