Re: Aseprite drops the GPLv2 for its proprietary EULA

> On 01/09/16 16:34, Rémi Verschelde wrote:
>>
>> * Reasons for the license change: It's not fully clear yet why the
>> Aseprite developer decided to drop the GPLv2, but based on this
>> Twitter discussion we had [3] he seems to be pretty unhappy (not to
>> use stronger qualificatives) about distro packaging, in particular
>> Debian's.
>
> I think I regret clicking on the link to that twitter discussion. Some
> of the things said weren't nice.

Yeah, and I would advise people not to read the rest of his recent
Twitter timeline either. There have been some haters from the "open
source community" apparently eager to insult David over the license
change (talking of his "oppressing users" and whatnot), and of course
very strong reactions from aseprite clients which are not necessarily
well-versed in the free software licenses and their interest.

Right now I think the best course of action is to let those topics die
down, hoping there won't be more haters throwing oil on the fire. Then
I'll try to reach to David privately to discuss his true motivations
for changing the license in a civilised manner, and see if it would
not be reversible. I don't particularly want to maintain a competitive
open source fork that would be caricatured within the aseprite user
community as a disrespectful and gratis-worshipping child of the "open
source community".

I'm starting to wonder if I should even have reacted to the license
change at all...

Cheers,
Rémi / Akien