Re: Aseprite drops the GPLv2 for its proprietary EULA

On 01/09/16 16:34, Rémi Verschelde wrote:
> Hi Tobias, hi *,
>
> You might have heard of it already, but Aseprite's main developer and
> sole copyright holder (thanks to his CLA) relicensed Aseprite from
> GPLv2 to proprietary (custom EULA with strong freedom restrictions)
> [0].

That's fairly unfortunate.

> This has no direct impact on the Debian packaging as the currently
> packaged version obviously stays open source. Still, there are a few
> points I thought worth of mentioning here:
>
> * Open source fork: When we heard about this yesterday, we decided
> with some contributors from the Godot Engine community to create a
> fork of the repo as of the last GPLv2 commit [1].
>
> I don't have a precise plan yet for this repo, but wanted to secure
> the code and give interested users a place to discuss a potential open
> source community version of Aseprite. See (and partake in) the
> discussion [2]. Forks should not be done lightly, and if we manage to
> convince the original author to go back to the GPLv2, I'll gladly
> remove this fork.
>
> * Reasons for the license change: It's not fully clear yet why the
> Aseprite developer decided to drop the GPLv2, but based on this
> Twitter discussion we had [3] he seems to be pretty unhappy (not to
> use stronger qualificatives) about distro packaging, in particular
> Debian's.

I think I regret clicking on the link to that twitter discussion. Some
of the things said weren't nice.

Given that the upstream developer is so hostile to having Aseprite
packaged in Debian, I think using the GPL fork is the only acceptable
way forward (besides removing the package). Hopefully it gets some
developers to contribute to it - it looks like David did the vast
majority of the development on the original project.

Another link David just posted:
http://dev.aseprite.org/post/149797781837/new-source-code-license

James