Re: Alternatives for tolua++?

On 10/18/2015 10:50 PM, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
On 19 October 2015 at 06:44, Olek <olek_nospam@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
Fellow games maintainers,

I'm sure that some of you have been dealing with issues relating to the
upstream abandonment of tolua++ (note the broken homepage link at [1]). I'm
also involved upstream with the WorldForge project [2] and this has become a
serious problem for them; a problem shared by a related project, CEGUI [3].
Various discussions have brought up a number of options [4][5][6][7]
including switching to another system (such as OOLua [8]) or collectively
adopting tolua++ for future development.

Have any of you been dealing with this issue? If so, what solutions have you
come up with? Migrating a very large codebase to a new system is a daunting
task and unlikely to happen without a volunteer (there currently isn't one).
However, continuing to use a system that is not being maintained, much less
actively developed, isn't really a viable long-term solution.

Since all of these packages are currently being maintained in Debian, it
would certainly behoove us to help these (and possibly other?) upstreams
figure out an effective and sustainable long-term solution.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!

-Olek

[1] https://packages.qa.debian.org/t/tolua++.html
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Games/WorldForge
[3] https://packages.qa.debian.org/c/cegui-mk2.html
[4] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ember/+bug/1498142
[5] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ember/+bug/1299959
[6] http://mail.worldforge.org/pipermail/general/2015-September/008523.html
[7] https://bitbucket.org/cegui/cegui/issues/1074/moving-from-tolua-bridge
[8] https://oolua.org/
  Speaking as maintainer of a upstream project that had huge problems
with toluaxx dependency about a decade ago, my recommendation is to
use plain tolua when ever possible instead of any short-living forks.

  - ML

Ha! That would certainly make things easier! Unfortunately, both projects need some of the advanced features of tolua++. Otherwise this problem would potentially be a lot simpler.

-Olek