Re: Old/unmaintained games

Hi Vincent,

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:
> Hey!
>
> [Please, keep me in Cc, not subscribed]
>
> I maintain Balazar 3 (a game) and Soya (the library Python used by this
> game and some others). The archive also has Balazar Brothers as a user
> of Soya.
>
> Those games are not maintained anymore and this version of Soya is not
> maintained anymore. If they were regular software, they could just be
> removed from the archive. However, being a game, maybe they could stay
> in the archive.
>
> The popcon is low but not too low (about 500).
>
> Is there some special "policy" about games? Should we try to keep them
> in the archive or is that expected for them to be removed when they (and
> their engine) are not maintained anymore?

When you say "maintained", you mean "maintained by upstream", right?
AFAIK there's no requirement that any given piece of software has to
have an active upstream maintainer for it to be packaged in Debian,
just so long as it has an active package maintainer within Debian. If
you're willing to keep maintaining those packages yourself, I see no
reason why they should be removed from the archive.

Regards,
Vincent