Re: How to handle unused third party libraries in upstream tarball

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 10:07 PM, Cesare Falco wrote:
>> Do you mean that one part would be DFSG-free but the other part would not?

Sigh, one should never celebrate too soon when things are alleged to
being freed.
It seems I got it partially wrong in the end. :-)

I've just received and e-mail from the MAME Project stating they are
in the process of relicensing the core under BSD and the drivers under
"a mix of" BSD, LGPL and GPL.

So they _are_ keeping different licences for core and drivers, but it looks
like they will be both DFSG-free. Hurray! :-)

They're now asking each contributors for allowance of his/her work.
I'm impressed, they've taken this very seriously if they got to me,
considering my contributions are limited to some fixes and the man pages.
Well done! :-)

> But what about the stuff which is _not_ distributed with the binaries once
If those originated elsewhere, they should be packaged separately too.
I'll do my best, but they are sometimes intertwined with the main code,
it will probably require a lot of patching at best.

We should make a new branch on Alioth, I guess.

Cheers,
Cesare