Re: How to handle unused third party libraries in upstream tarball

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:

> I get the following lintian errors in the mame package:

I hear that mame is going to be released under a DFSG-free license,
has that happened yet?
not to my knowledge, I understand discussion is still happening.
A distinction between core and drivers code to some extents
should remain if I got it right.

> Should I rather skip this them when creating the orig tarball ?

Yes, I would use the the new Files-Excluded support in uscan to remove
the whole 3rdparty/ directory. This has the advantage of allowing you
to not bother documenting all these embedded code copies in
debian/copyright :)
Please be advised that some of the 3rdparty/ stuff is not packaged
yet or is required during the building process only.
Should we opt for stripping, we'll have to consider this and make it more specific.

Cheers,
Cesare