Re: How to handle unused third party libraries in upstream tarball

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:

> I get the following lintian errors in the mame package:

I hear that mame is going to be released under a DFSG-free license,
has that happened yet?

> W: mame source: outdated-autotools-helper-file
> 3rdparty/expat/conftools/config.guess 2011-05-11
> E: mame source: source-contains-prebuilt-ms-help-file
> 3rdparty/zlib/contrib/dotzlib/DotZLib.chm
>
> We ( of course :) use debian libraries to build the package and don't
> use these upstream embedded versions.
>
> Is it fine to silence the Lintian errors ?

The only time it is fine to silence lintian is when the issue is a bug
in lintian but isn't easy to fix and the complaint is warning/error
but not info/pedantic/experimental.

> Should I rather skip this them when creating the orig tarball ?

Yes, I would use the the new Files-Excluded support in uscan to remove
the whole 3rdparty/ directory. This has the advantage of allowing you
to not bother documenting all these embedded code copies in
debian/copyright :)

> Is it a case to use the dfsg suffix ?

I would say yes, as source-contains-prebuilt-ms-help-file represents a
DFSG-violation as defined by the ftpmasters as CHM files cannot be
built on Debian, you need proprietary software on Windows. Other folks
disagree though.

--
bye,
pabs