Re: Concern about racism and sexism in Supertuxkart 0.9

On Sat, 2 May 2015 22:06:07 Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > Besides artists do not like censorship. Debian is like a publisher and if
> > we start removing not-really-offensive artwork then artists will be very
> > disappointed. I would. Those who demand to remove those images -- you
> > would be very upset if publisher would drop your content that you
> > included in your artwork.
>
> Debian's priorities are our users and free software, not upstream. It
> is up to the package maintainers (in principle) to decide if patching
> or not some contents out of a program serves our users better or
> worse. We can choose to not touch anything and let the programs as
> they are, or we may choose to patch them according to what we feel is
> better. As a general rule, both options are perfectly valid depending
> on the circumstances. So yeah, those who are personally involved in
> packaging that game can perfectly decide to patch it, or decide not to
> do it, and it won't be the end of the world.

Of course maintainers can (i.e. have power to) drop upstream components.
I was trying to explain why doing so might be a bad idea unless there are very
strong reasons to remove anything.
I see censoring upstream content as disservice to our users especially when it
is done on questionable moral grounds.
I would not appreciate that kind of "service" done on my behalf.
I want to discourage content censorship because it may do more harm than good.

--
Cheers,
 Dmitry Smirnov

---

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
wrong.
        -- H. L. Mencken