Re: Unteralterbach

Let me summarize a bit.

Nils entered our mailing list, and behaves in a way that I think is
examplary.  He says he wants to package a game, which he warns will
probably be controversial.

After some discussion, we have an idea what the package will look like:
a game with only "boring" graphics, a soundtrack that is not disturbing
in any way, and a subject which does indeed make people feel
uncomfortable.  The game does not try to tell people how to live their
life, and it certainly doesn't try to convince them to abuse children.

While upstream's game is different, the package that I see is not
controversial at all.  There surely are more controversial things in our
archive.  For example, how do you like this description from the website
of XEvil (which is in the archive):

> O.K., kids... let's get this straight. XEvil is not for meek,
> peace-loving, "I love you, you love me..." types of people. The fans
> of XEvil enjoy it because of its shameless displays of blood and
> violence, of people getting lit on fire, getting shot, being ripped up
> by chainsaws, getting high on drugs, and burst open by aliens.

So having a controversial subject can't be enough reason to get the
opposition that we're seeing here, right?  So can someone please tell me
what the problem is?

The reason I'm considering to sponsor the package is simple: I think
Nils could be an asset to the project (I haven't seen his technical
skills, but I like his social skills).  If he wants to package
something, and I don't see any problem in it entering Debian, I'm
pleased to help him with that.

But of course, if I hear good arguments to keep this package from
Debian, I'll change my mind.  I'm pretty sure ftpmasters can also be
convinced to reject it with good arguments, just in case I'm the crazy
guy here who doesn't see the obvious.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 05:31:01PM -0700, Vincent Cheng wrote:
> > I'll try hard to make sure nobody is surprised if the package enters
> > Debian (but I'm also pretty sure not everybody will be happy,
> > judging by the discussion.)
>
> By "try[ing] hard to make sure nobody is surprised if the package
> enters Debian", I assume that you'll mention it to -devel and -project
> the moment you upload it to the NEW queue

I wasn't planning to.  This discussion has been spread over
debian-devel-games, debian-legal, debian-women and leader.  I think it
makes sense to inform all of those places.  I see no need to tell the
developers at large that there is a new package in the queue.

> (debian-devel-games has nowhere near the number of subscribers that
> -devel and -project have, after all);

If you want coverage, you need to send it to the newspapers and
tv-stations.  I'm pretty sure they aren't interested.  I'm guessing
neither are most of the readers of -devel and -project.

> I'll do so myself if you refuse.

"Refuse"?  You mean you're giving me an order?  I'm going to assume this
is just a language problem, and ignore that.

Anyway, I'm not stopping you.  If you want to tell people about things
they don't care about, knock yourself out...

Thanks,
Bas