Re: cube2 and cube2-data ready for tests

Hi,

On 28.02.2014 00:36, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:
[...]
> I guess we want FDO/Debian menu files in the wake6 package for that,
> so that users who aren't familiar with the command-line can play the
> map.

Yup. Good point. It's on my todo-list.

>> I see the following possibilities:
>
> I'd suggest:
>
> Drop cube2-data.
>
> Rename sauerbraten-wake6 to wake6.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly. You want me to rename the
source and binary package of sauerbraten-wake6 to wake6? Actually I
don't really care for the name, red-cabbage or potato-dumplings might
fit as well, however I feel that calling the package wake6 implies it
contains only one single map and its purpose is fixed for all time.
Wouldn't a more generic name like cube2-data give people the opportunity
to update the package with other content (maps, artwork, documentation)
which is not related to wake6?

> bananabread source package producing a bananabread package for non-web
> users. If any files from this are needed by wake6, split those out
> into a -common or similar package.

The idea with a common package sounds interesting.

> cube2-web and if needed bananabread-web packages might be interesting
> but I'm not sure it would get many people installing it? I wonder how
> feasible a Debian architecture for compiling software to JavaScript
> is, or if a piecemeal approach is better with only packages that have
> been adapted to that getting compiled to JavaScript.

Indeed. Bananabread is more like a demo and intended to be played in a
web browser and not a completely independent community project like
sauerbraten or redeclipse. Probably not many people would install the
web variant of a well-known 3D shooter game but the combination of 3D
game + emscripten would be a first for Debian. We should keep the idea
in mind.

https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki

The wiki presents more examples for popular 3D games running in a web
browser with emscripten such as Doom, Quake or 2D demos for Torque and
SuperTux.

>> Check out this very impressive demo:
>>
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/demos/detail/bananabread
>
> That is amazing.
>
> It is also extremely disturbing the amount of attack surface bloat
> that has gone into browsers in recent years. I wonder if that was one
> of the NSA's genius ideas under the ORCHESTRA programme.

Yeah, that's true. Back to the roots -> elinks

Thanks for your feedback,

Markus