Re: cube2 and cube2-data ready for tests

On 28.02.2014 13:41, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 27/02/14 23:06, Markus Koschany wrote:
>> I worked on the sauerbraten package, removed everything specific to
>> the sauerbraten game like icons, menu or desktop files and renamed
>> it to cube2. It is now very similar to redeclipse or the ioquake3
>> package.
>
> Great work!

Thanks.

> If you haven't already, it might be worth talking to its upstream
> about what they would like "the engine shared by Sauerbraten,
> Bananabread etc." to be referred to as (i.e. the equivalent of
> ioquake3 in this system of packages, what you're calling cube2 at the
> moment). If its upstream consider "Cube 2" to be an alternate name or
> subtitle or something for Sauerbraten, and do not have a separate name
> for the engine, it might be worth calling its Debian package something
> like cube2-engine to emphasize "this is not the game, just the engine"
> and avoid potential upstream annoyance if they feel that it has been
> misrepresented.

Sauerbraten is also referred to as Cube2: Sauerbraten. However Red
Eclipse uses the same, slightly modified, engine without emphasizing
Cube2 in its name. Bananabread has made various modifications to the
engine and considers itself as an independent project. It should also be
noted that the developer of Bananabread is an employee of the Mozilla
Foundation.

I think calling the source and binary package cube2 should be
sufficient. The description will be meaningful enough to avoid any
confusion here.

[...]
> Is Bananabread a Free content package analogous to Freedoom,
> OpenQuartz, OpenArena?

Yes and no. Bananabread is an independent project with art assets from
various free software projects and some homemade ones but it's not a
community project like OpenArena. It doesn't provide its own master
server and the multiplayer mode over the internet is incomplete. Its aim
is to be a playable demo in modern web browsers and you can also play
against bots and that's it.

>> 2. Update cube2-data and include all game data from Bananabread
>> into cube2-data. On first glance it still wouldn't be the same as
>> sauerbraten but we got one model, sounds, more free maps and
>> textures. Round about 200 MB extra files.
>
> It depends whether you think cube2-data is a demo/tutorial/blob of
> miscellaneous data, or a playable game. It sounds to me as though
> cube2-data is a demo/tutorial, but Bananabread is a game?

cube2-data is absolutely minimalistic. Just the right amount of data to
be playable. Bananabread is a demo, too, but more sophisticated.

>> 3. Create a separate bananabread source package in addition to
>> cube2-data.
>
> If Bananabread is (or aims to be) a full game, I'd go for this one,
> and include .desktop/.menu/etc. in bananabread (and separately in
> cube2-data, if you think cube2-data is sufficiently
> non-developer-useful to appear in menus as its own game at all).

I think I go for a separate Bananabread package with bananabread and
bananabread-common binary packages. However I need to modify the in-game
menu because currently it offers all those maps from sauerbraten but
only ships a handful of free ones instead. I also have to find out how I
can apply the only model to newly spawned bots, otherwise they are
invisible...which is quite a challenge. So it will definitely take some
time to polish this content package.

>> I think upgrading sauerbraten-wake6 to the cube2-data demo package
>> is the quickest way to get the cube2 engine into main.
>
> Based on the precedent of quakespasm, the line currently drawn by the
> ftpmasters is that the cube2 engine can go in main without Free data
> also being in main, as long as usable Free data *exists*. (For
> quakespasm, that Free data is OpenQuartz; for this engine, it sounds
> as though it's Bananabread and wake6.)

That sounds fine. I'll fix the remaining issues in the cube2 source
package and update sauerbraten-data to sauerbraten and report back when
it's done.

Thanks,

Markus