Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On 25.02.2014 02:22, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 01:42:30AM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
[...]

I have already given some answers in my last e-mail, so I try to avoid
to repeat them again.

> Debian doesn't trust upstream sites to stay around.  Therefore we copy
> their tarballs to our own mirrors.  The argument that it saves so much
> space would work just as well for any non-art orig tarball, but that's
> not how we do it.

I was speaking about really large source tarballs, several hundreds of
megabyte and not the casual mini game. See also the data.debian.org
discussion.

[...]
>> I think as long as the resulting image is freely licensed and in a
>> modifiable form and the rest of Naev is also free software, we should
>> find a compromise to allow users to enjoy the game, to work with the
>> sources and to give them a chance to resolve the remaining issues.
>
> Non-free is the name of that compromise.  As long as we haven't solved
> the issues, the game is not free and doesn't belong in main.  You're
> suggesting that you're doing people who chose not to install non-free
> software a favor by letting them play this game anyway.  But in fact you
> aren't: if they would like that, they would have non-free in their
> sources.list.

In case of Naev we seem to have a problem with one single png file. I
think this issue can be resolved by using common sense without putting
the stigma of non-freeness on the whole project.

> Keeping *all* non-free software out of main is actually a great feature
> of Debian.  I think you don't appreciate that feature, which is fine.

And here I think it is time to quit the conversation. If you are not
willing to hold a frank and reasonable discussion, then it is pointless
to continue the conversation. You do not seem to differentiate between
various issues, however I do.

Markus